Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 11:30am by The Free Geek
How can a person limit juicy downloads to 101 freeware and shareware choices? Tough calls, but the tools below are ones that every nerd needs, or at least should ponder. Many freeware choices are open source, and the shareware all offer trial offers, so there shouldn’t be any need to give anyone your MasterCard number.
Audio | Browsers | Compression | Desktop Enhancements | Download/Upload Clients | E-Mail Tools | FAX and Telephony | Graphics & Photo | Internet (Surfing) | iPod Tools | MySQL Database Tools | Networking | Office Productivity | Personal Finance | Programmers | Security | System Utilities | Tweaks | Web Authors/Owners
These choices provide a strong operational gamut that allows you to capture, catalog, compress, restore, and store audio files and more:
- GX::Transcoder 22.214.171.12451 [10.3 MB | Freeware | Win All] — A universal audio and video file transcoder. You can transcode audio files into dozens of formats. Contains a Cue-Cutter, a DB based Player, a NetRadio Stream Player with recording function and a Tagger for id3v1, id3v2, ape 2.0, OGG Comment, Flac Comment and WMA ID’s.
- WavPack 4.40 [405 KB | Freeware | Win All] — Losslessly compress and restore 16- and 24-bit audio files in the WAV format. Restored files are digitally identical to the original source.
- mp3DirectCut 2.04 [167 KB | Freeware | Win All] — Edit MPEG audio directly. You can remove parts, change volume, split files or copy regions to new files, all without the need to decompress your MP3 into PCM/WAV.
- Advanced MP3 Catalog Pro 3.36 [1.93 MB | Shareware $29.95 | Win All] — Easy-to-use tool with Explorer-like interface that allows you to catalog all kind of MP3 media — floppy disks, hard drives (including network ones), optical disks, CD-ROMs, ZIP and JAZ disks, and other media with MP3 files.
- Blaze Media Pro 4.0 [27 MB | Shareware $50 | Win All] — A powerful all-in-one Windows multimedia application that supports all popular media formats; audio and video playlists; audio and video conversions; audio and video editing and recording, video construction, combining, decompiling, batch processing; and video capture. Advanced audio and data CD burning capabilities are also provided.
The choices below provide five widely different options for browsing the World Wide Web:
- Firefox [5.6 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Cross-platform open source browser that offers tabs, security, pop-up elimination, and personalization. Firefox 2 emulates IE in many respects, so it’s easy to switch if you’re addicted to the latter browser.
- Webaroo 1.3 [281 KB | Freeware | Win 2K/XP] — “Your Web to Go.” Webaroo stores searchable Web content on laptops, PDAs or smart phones in a Webaroo search library that can be accessed anytime offline and updated with a simply sync when online.
- FreeDOS 1.0 [7.1 MB | Freeware | Win All] — An open source DOS-compatible operating system for IBM-PC compatible systems, perfect for games. An emulator is recommended to install and boot FreeDOS (see #11).
- Multi Screen Emulator for Windows 1.4 [755 KB | Shareware $14.99 | Win All] — So you need an emulator? MSEW creates up to eight virtual screens and each one can be used for specific aims. Use one screen for FreeDOS, one for spreadsheets, one for audio, etc.
- SpeedResearch Stock Market Browser 2.4 [6.9 MB | Shareware $44.95 | Win All] — If you’re using dozens of stock data Web sites for your quotes, charts, research and trading, this browser can simplify your efforts. This single application helps you manage your stock portfolios and provides instant access to research data for your stocks from an unlimited number of stock research Web sites. Free 30-day Trial and No monthly fees if you like it.
- Multi Horse Racing Web Browser 1.0 [901 KB | Freeware | Win All] — Horse racing Web browser, with predefined tabs that will allow you to surf to interesting Web sites where you’ll be able to find plenty of useful information related to horse racing.
- FeedReader 3.09 [1.05 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Feedreader’s open source interface is simple and easy-to-use, with so many fully-functional capabilities that it would be impossible to list them all here.
Make those big files really really small, whether you’re a nerd or not:
- PeaZip 1.4 [2.61 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Full compression support: 7Z, 7-Zip sfx, Bzip2, Gzip, PEA, split TAR, and ZIP.
- PIM 1.40 Beta [405 KB | Freeware | Win All] — Special compression for executable, audio and image files, advanced ZIP-file support, including BZip2, and PPMd decompression. Extract support for PIM, QUAD, ZIP, JAR, PK3, PK4, and QUAKE PAK archives.
- JustZIPit 131.71a [373 KB | Freeware | Win All] — If all you do is zip and unzip, then avoid anything complicated. Just Zip It! Fast (no runtime libraries), easy (you don’t need to be a nerd).
Literally hundreds of freeware and shareware desktop enchancements exist, so the following list contains only those tools that will drastically alter the look, feel, and/or functionality of your default Windows desktop options:
- Desktop Lock 7 [795 KB | Shareware $24.95 | Win All] — Don’t want others to use your computer? Not only can you lock your computer with one click, Desktop Lock also provides a powerful “Virtual Screen” tool that allows you to create virtual desktops to show only the specific programs to users.
- AM-DeadLink 3.0 [1.10 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Clean up those bookmarks with a quick detection for all dead links. You also can download FavIcons for all your Favorites and Bookmarks.
- Wave Alive 1.4 XP [1.4 MB | Shareware $14.95 | Win XP] — Play sound with 3D effects when you’re typing on the keyboard.
- Iconoid [530 KB | Freeware | Win All] — A Windows desktop icon manager that allows you to make your icons appear and disappear on a whim, along with the ability to change background colors and text. Resides peacefully in system tray.
- EditPad Lite 6.2.1 [2.99 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Get ready to dump your default notepad. Open as many files in EditPad at a time as you want, and don’t worry about size. Tabbed navigation with numerous preference to look and function.
- Context Power [41 KB | Freeware | Win 9X/XP] — Context Power provides an easy and simple interface that allows you to add or remove “Copy To Folder” and “Move To Folder” support at the click of a button. No installation. Just download, execute, and forget it.
- Clipboard Recorder 4 [828 KB | Freeware | Win All] — A lightweight tool that captures and stores up to 99 text and graphic copies in a compressed format.
- ClipMate Clipboard Extender 7 [4.93 MB | Shareware $34.95 | Win All] — Create an unlimited number of text and graphic collections to store data, and maintain full control over the retention rules so that your collections will fit your work process.
Slurp it down or toss it up. Either way, these tools will help to make your interaction with the Internet that much easier:
- Free Download Manager [1.59 MB | Freeware | Win All] — A full-featured download accelerator and manager that’s light-weight, powerful and easy-to-use. FDM users can now request opinions from community members about the file intended for download right from the download window, a tool that helps fight against the download of useless or malicious files.
- DownloadStudio 3 [18.1 MB | Shareware $39.95 | Win All] — The Rolls Royce of download managers. DownloadStudio contains browser integration and the ability to download anything that’s downloadable on the Web, but you can limit those files and download multiple files at once.
- FileZilla 3 [3.37 MB | Freeware | Win All] — A fast FTP and SFTP open source client for Windows. Contains a plethora of features without bloat.
- CyD FTP Client XP [3.54 MB | Shareware $29 | Win All] — Another full-featured FTP client with advanced features that include multi-threaded files and automatic transfer.
These are the basics: E-mail clients, options, and a spam sleuth:
- Mozilla Thunderbird 1.5 [6.1 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Full-featured open source e-mail application with junk mail filters, anti-phishing protection, advanced security, automatic updates, ability to customize the interface, and support. You won’t miss Outlook.
- Pegasus [5.3 MB | Freeware | Win All] — A full-featured standards-based electronic mail client suitable for use by single or multiple users on single computers or on local area networks.
- GMail Drive shell extension 1.0.11 Beta [147 KB | Freeware | Win All] — GMail Drive adds a new drive to your computer under the ‘My Computer’ folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag-and-drop files to and from your GMail account.
- FreePOPs [813 KB | Freeware | Win All] — Download and read e-mail from the most famous Web-based e-mail services, use as an aggregator for RSS feeds and much more. No sending capabilities.
- Spam Sleuth [12 MB | Shareware $29.95 | Win All] — An intuitive program that allows you to set virus check, friends list, mailing lists, spammer lists, good words, bad words, profanity list, attachments, dictionary, valid sender, subject, and URL check, among other tweaks and settings.
Expect this list to morph within minutes, as this venue is subject to constant upgrades and changes:
- 3CX VOIP Phone 1.06 [1.15 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Use this software instead of the soft phone provided by your VOIP provider which locks you into their VOIP phone service. Easy to use interface includes dial pad and buttons to transfer or forward a call. Set up conference calls with a few mouse clicks. Includes call log, phone-book, call status and statistics, and more. Available in five languages.
- Express Talk VoIP Softphone 2.03 [392 KB | Freeware | Win All] — Call anyone on the Internet for free, provided they have installed Express Talk or any other SIP VOIP softphone. Call ordinary telephone numbers anywhere in the world if signed up to a gateway service.
- Total Fax 8.0 [7.96 MB | Shareware $69.95 | Win All] — An office FAX that adds the power of sending faxes from each desktop without having to install additional fax lines and modems. Send faxes from home when logged into office network. Toll free support.
- FaxMail Network n9.98.22 [1.35 MB | Shareware $59.99 | Win All] — Send and receive FAX from a single computer or a network. Adds a FaxBar to all programs and integrates with print capabilities.
Choices often are free or expensive for the best graphics and photo software. While you might remain attached to Adobe Photoshop, the following programs offer similar cabilities:
- GIMP 2.3.15 [13.7 MB | Freeware | Win All] — GIMP, the GNU Image Manipulation Program, is a freely distributed program for photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. This version is the most recent snapshot of the development toward GIMP 2.4.
- FastStone Image Viewer 3.0 [3.27 MB | Freeware | Win All] — A fast, stable, user-friendly image browser, converter, and editor. Lossless JPEG transitions, drop shadow effects, image annotation, scanner support, histogram, and much more. It supports all major graphic formats.
- XnView 1.90.3 Beta [1.29 MB | Freeware | Win All] — A freeware utility for converting and viewing graphics files. Supports more than 400 graphic formats in reading and 40 in writing.
- PhotoPlus 6 [19.4 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Create new images or animations from scratch or edit existing ones, using a variety of brushes and available shapes. The program also supports layers and masks.
- Picasa [5.1 MB | Freeware | Win 2000+] — Although editing capabilities are limited when compared to a product like Photoshop’s Bridge, Picasa rivals this program with the robust ability to organize all visual files on that hard drive. Reduce red eye, add lables, send images to your choice of Web printing services, share with others, or print to CD.
The following tools are not listed under “Security” as they function differently. Use the following in conjunction with your security software:
- JAP 00.07.018 [14.7 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Are you being followed? Utilize JAP for the best — yet not watertight — anonymous surfing tool around. Currently free, but funding is low.
- TorPark 126.96.36.199a [10.9 MB | Freeware | Win /NT/2K/XP/2003] — Torpark is a portable Web browser based on Firefox and Tor, meaning that just like Portable Firefox (freeware) it can run off the USB drive practically anywhere. Great tool to use in Internet cafes for security and privacy.
- Sandboxie [229 KB | Freeware | Win All] — Keep ActiveX turned on and retain security and functionality with Sandboxie. Run your Web browser inside the sandbox to avoid any incoming unsolicited software, spyware, malware, etc. Sandboxie resists start page hijacking, new and unwanted icons on your desktop, etc., as all are trapped in and bound to the sandbox.
- Cyberhawk Basic 2.0 [6.51 MB | Freeware | Win 2K/XP/2003] — Novatix Corporation’s Cyberhawk is zero-day security surfing software designed for the average consumer, which means that this solution is an out-of-the-box, easy-to-use solution that is designed to work alongside any current security programs you may already have installed.
- SG TCP Optimizer 2.0.3 [596 KB | Freeware | Win All] — Tune and optimize your Internet connection with an easy-to-use installation process that will amp your default settings. The TCP Optimizer is targeted toward broadband Internet connections. It can however be helpful with tuning any Internet connection type from dial-up on up.
Got an iPod? Turn it on, manage it, convert DVDs, turn it into a PDA, and ePodcast with the tools listed below:
- Goombah for Windows 0.98.7 [26.2 MB | Freeware | Win 2K/XP] — Like Pandora, Goombah analyzes your iTunes library, then offers personalized recommendations and free music that fits your tastes. Unlike Pandora, Goombah provides you with connections to the 20 people closest to you in musical taste.
- YamiPod 1.0.3 Beta [4.38 MB | Freeware | Win All] — A freeware standalone application that efficiently manages your iPod under Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux. It can be run directly from your iPod and needs no installation.
- Cucusoft iPod Video Converter + DVD to iPod Suite 188.8.131.52 [8 MB | Shareware $39.95 | Win All] — Convert both DVD media and video file media to iPod video/iPod movie so you can enjoy your favorite DVD and video clip on your iPod as a portable DVD Player. Requires DirectX 8.0 or later.
- iPodSync 2.30 [6.75 MB | Shareware $13.95 | Win All] — Turn your iPod into a PDA where you can keep your Microsoft Outlook calendar, contact, tasks, notes, and e-mail synched between your PC and your iPod. iPodSync also syncs news, weather forecasts, and movie listings from the Web.
- ePodcast Producer 2.0.62 [5.73 MB | Shareware $249.95 | Win 2K/XP] — ePodcast Producer features an advanced editor as well as integrated CD ripping & burning, full DSP effects, and more.
The tools listed below are perfect for the DBA who already uses or who plans to use MySQL (open source):
- MySQL Migration Toolkit 2.3 [12.6 MB | Shareware $99.85 | Win All] — Migrate your proprietary databases to MySQL with the use of a Wizard-driven interface. Worth the price to get the job done right.
- DBDesigner 184.108.40.206 [7.36 MB | Freeware | Win All] — DBDesigner 4 was developed and optimized for the open source MySQL-Database to support MySQL users. It compares to products like Oracle’s Designer, IBM’s Rational Rose, Computer Associates’s ERwin and theKompany’s DataArchitect but is an open source project.
- phpMyAdmin 220.127.116.11 [2.87 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Use PHP to create and drop databases, create/drop/alter tables, delete/edit/add fields, execute any SQL statement, manage keys on fields. A “Month of Bugs” was conducted in February on this recently released version, so workarounds are provided for known bugs.
- TOAD for MySQL 2.0.3 [18.2 MB | Freeware | Win 2K/XP] — Create and execute queries, as well as build and manage database objects with ease. You’ll benefit from the project manager, the formatting feature, version control integration, the database browser, the security manager and an extensive knowledge base called Knowledge Xpert for MySQL. Requires Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1.
The variety of networking tools listed below are highly rated by users in a number of download and review sites:
- SoftPerfect Network Scanner 3.3 build 145 [616 KB | Freeware | Win All] — A multi-threaded IP, NetBIOS, and SNMP scanner with a modern interface. Ping computers and scan for listening TCP ports, and then display which types of resources are shared on the network (including system and hidden).
- Bandwidth Controller Personal Edition 1.14 [2.33 MB | Freeware | Win 2K/XP/2003] — A complete bandwidth management solution for IP-based networks. Provides Layer 3 transaction processing for high performance, low latency bandwidth management across the entire organization.
- KevTerm 2.02 [29 KB | Freeware | Win All] — A powerful but simple telnet client that emulates VT100/ANSI terminals. Standard functions include copy-and-paste data transfer, local echo, font selection, logging, macros, scroll back buffer, and variable terminal screen size.
- CountryWhois 18.104.22.168 [2.47 MB | Shareware $29 | Win 2K/XP/2003/Vista] — CountryWhois can be used to analyze server logs, check e-mail address headers, identify online credit card fraud, or in any other instance where you need to quickly and accurately determine the country of origin by IP address. High accuracy, speed, and no need to contact external Whois servers.
- NetSetMan 2.3.5 [1.05 MB | Freeware | Win 2K/XP] — NetSetMan is a network settings manager which can easily switch between six different visually structured profiles. All settings and changes are saved automatically in a separate file (settings.ini) so a backup, transfer, or upgrade to another version is absolutely no problem. Commercial use demands the NetSetMan Pro (Euro 12 for one license).
You can easily replace all commercial software in your office/home productivity software with fully functional open source, freeware, and shareware tools:
- OpenOffice.org [200 MB | Freeware | Win All] — A multiplatform and multilingual office suite and an open source project. Compatible with all other major office suites, the product is free to download, use, and distribute.
- OxygenOffice Professional 2.1.0 [205 MB | Freeware | Win All] — An enhanced open source version of the original OpenOffice.org suite that contains more extras like templates, cliparts, samples, and fonts.
- Floppy Office 3.7 [1.5 MB | Freeware | Win All] — This package contains a standalone e-mail client, FTP client, graphics editor, word processor, text editor, PDF creation software, Web server for hosting files via HTTP, encryption software, zip utility, and — last but not least — a spreadsheet program. This all fits on one floppy disk or it can be run from a USB drive.
- CutePDF Writer 2.7 [1.54 MB | Freeware | Win All] — CutePDF Writer (formerly CutePDF Printer) is the free version of commercial PDF creation software. This software enables virtually any Windows applications (must be able to print) to create professional quality PDF documents.
- DVDShow for PowerPoint [7.7 MB | Shareware $39.95 | Win All] — Turn your PowerPoint presentations into DVD that will play perfectly on any DVD player or PC. Set parameters to export lossless texts, graphics, audio tracks, videos, and transitions from the original.
- Total Organizer [1.2 MB | Freeware | Win XP/NT] — Total Organizer is a personal information manager (PIM) that helps you organize and plan your business and personal life by filing all your contacts, calendars, notes, and to-dos into tree-structured categories.
Start keeping better track of where your money is going:
- AceMoney Lite 3.9.1 [5.49 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Let AceMoney Lite helps you to organize and manage your personal finances quickly and easily. Track investments, the balances on your small business and platinum credit cards, do online banking, track billing deadlines, and do it all in over a dozen languages. The only drawback is that it doesn’t support multiple accounts like its big brother, AceMoney (single user $30), but it’s incredibly easy to use.
- Free Express Accounting 2 [44.7 MB | Freeware | Win All] — A fully-functional, commercial-grade, free accounting software. Offers a single company, single user, single currency small business owner (like a freelancer) with business management and account through a comprehensive suite of integrated financial accounting and operations management modules. While the interface is a bit outdated, don’t let that put you off from accessing the functionality of this free tool.
- TakeStock [1.61 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Track US and international stocks and mutual funds, get real-time quotes (when available) and historical prices, view and compare stock charts, obtain company information and business news. TakeStock is a secure and free alternative to fee-based portfolio management services and commercial desktop products.
- Stock Spy 22.214.171.124 [3.15 MB | Shareware $29.95 | Win All] — Stock Spy’s unique RSS NewsChart technology makes it easy to see correlations between stock news and stock price activity directly on the stock chart. This “cause-and-effect” analysis helps to spot trends far ahead of the crowd.
- Forex Tester 1.0 [5.87 MB | Shareware $135 | Win 2K/XP/2003] — A professional software simulator of the Foreign Exchange Market that provides an excellent training tool. Instead of waiting for days and weeks to test your trading ideas and strategies, Forex Tester will pack this time into hours and minutes.
Debugging and more below:
- Auto Debug Professional 4.0 [3.28 MB | Shareware $299 | Win All] — Auto Debug software is an API monitoring tool which can automatic track all APIs and ActiveX interface input and output parameters. Automatic analysis parameter type with PDB files and generate PDB files without source code if you know the API prototype.
- ExeShield Deluxe 1.4 [2.43 MB | Freeware | Win All] — This program protects Windows 32-bit EXE files against cracker/hacker and detects all new debugger programs.
- ANPOP POP3 Component Build 7.0 [832 KB | Shareware $99.95 | Win All] — Enable ASP, VB, VC++, C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, VBS, Jscript, WScript, Delphi or other COM environment application to retrieve e-mail from e-mail server using the POP3 protocol and parse e-mail based on MIME.
- PLCEdit 0.9.6 [481 KB | Freeware | Win All] — Use this slim but powerfull editor to note your ideas in PLC engeneering. Requirements: A Windows System and a development environment of Moeller Sucosoft, 3S Software or Siemens to compile and transfer the code.
- Highlight 2.4.8 stable; 2.5.4 beta [1.67 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Highlight converts source code to formatted text with syntax highlighting. Supports 120+ programming languages with output in HTML, XHTML, RTF, TeX, LaTeX and XML format.
- VertrigoServ 2.16 [8.90 MB | Freeware | Win All] — VertrigoServ has been developed as a highly professional, easy to install package consisting of Apache (HTTP Web server), PHP (reflective programming language), MySQL (multithreaded, multi-user, SQL Database Management System), SQLite (ACID-compliant relational database management system), SQLiteManager (multilingual Web-based tool to manage SQLite database), PhpMyAdmin (tool written in PHP intended to handle the administration of MySQL) and Zend Optimizer (which increases runtime performance up to 40 percent) for Windows platform.
- thinBasic [5.22 MB | Freeware | Win All] — thinBasic is a Basic interpreter designed for task automation with almost 400 commands. Almost all Basic language keywords supported, user defined functions with local/global/static variables scope, For/Next, If/Else/ElseIf, Do/Loop, While/Wend, Select/Case, etc.
If you own a computer, you need security. While the saying, “You get what you pay for” applies to many products and services, we found enough high-quality freeware to keep us happy. You can secure your files and passwords, along with a top-notch anti-virus program and a firewall:
- TrueCrypt [1.35 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk. Encrypts an entire hard disk partition or a storage device such as USB flash drive.
- Eraser 5.82 [2.56 MB | Freeware | Win All] — A secure data removal tool, which allows you to remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it with carefully selected patterns.
- KeePass Password Safe [992 KB | Freeware | Win All] — KeePass Password Safe is a free open source light-weight and easy-to-use password manager for Windows. You can store your passwords in a highly-encrypted database, which is locked with one master key or key-disk.
- AVG Free Edition 7.5 [18.8 MB | Freeware | Win All] — One of the most popular free downloads for anti-virus protection from viruses, worms and trojans at home or for a small office.
- Sun Java JRE 6 [12.5 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Java SE 6 is the current major release of the Java SE platform, with full support from NetBeans IDE 5.5.
- SUPERAntiSpyware 3.6 [5.52 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Provides quick and complete scan of entire computer system, detects and removes spyware, adware, malware, trojans, dialers, worms, keyloggers, hijackers and many other types of threats. Free version for home users only.
Search, configure, and troubleshoot with these system utilities:
- Google Desktop Search Plus [336 KB | Freeware | Win 2K/XP] — If you’re happy with how Google Desktop can index your hard drive they way it indexes the Web, then you’ll be happier to hear that GDSPlus can add power to that search. You can add new extensions not yet supported by Google and remove extensions that Google added that you don’t want searched.
- TinyResMeter 0.95a [91.5 KB | Freeware | Win All] — A TINY tool that displays useful realtime system resources, but it also gives much more details when you right-click over displayed fields. Those details? You can monitor your cache, RAM, page file and swap file usage, run processes and threads, disk space utilization, and a number of other parameters as well, and you can save the current screen to disk when you press PrintScreen.
- Process Monitor 1.1 [966 KB | Freeware | Win All] — Process Monitor’s powerful features will make Process Monitor a core utility in your system troubleshooting and malware hunting toolkit. With interface and options that are similar to those of Filemon and Regmon, this software shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.
- SIW 1.67 Build 625 [1.46 MB | Freeware | Win All] — SIW performs computer configuration analysis and diagnostics. It gives detailed information about your computer properties and settings, detailed specs for hardware, software, network, tools, and includes real-time monitors. A must-have on your USB flash drive, as it’s a standalone utility.
- GRBackPro [1.74 MB | Shareware $59+ | Win All] — Versatile, easy to use, speedy, and convenient. Supports back-ups to CD-RW. Explorer-type interface that’s intuitive for Windows users.
Cool tweaks below:
- UnPlug 1.6.00 [213 KB | Freeware | Win All] — Save embedded audio and video from a Web page with this Firefox extension.
- CPU-Control 1.0 [506 KB | Freeware | Win All] — CPU-Control handles the CPU-affinity for multicore-systems. You define whether that control is automatic or manual.
- UndeadPixel 2.2 [51 KB | Freeware | Win 2K/XP/2003 with .NET Framework v2] — Locate and fix LCD screens dead pixels. Program runs for several hours.
- MozBackup 1.4.6 [876 KB | Freeware | Win All] — MozBackup is a simple utility for creating backups and restores of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite and Netscape profiles.
- RegFix Mantra 3.1 [985 KB | Shareware $29.95 | Win All] — Fix inconsistencies that result in degrading PC performance, slower command executions, system crashed, Windows internal errors and difficult to understand Windows errors. This software erases the fear of dealing with Windows registry.
Even if you can’t live without Dreamweaver, you’ll need to give the following tools a shot. You might find a program that will win your heart, but not your wallet:
- Portable NVU [7.22 MB | Freeware | Win All] — Portable NVU allows you to carry your whole Web page editor with you on an iPod, USB thumbdrive, portable hard drive or any other portable media. You can plug it right into any Windows computer and use it just like you would on your own.
- PSPad [1.76 MB | Freeware | Windows All] — PSPad is a freeware programmer’s editor for Microsoft Windows operating systems, useful for people who work with various programming environments and who need a small tool with simple controls and the capabilities of a mighty code editor. Allows on-the-fly editing of server code that relieves the need to separately upload code changes using FTP.
- Crimson Editor 3.70 [1.19 MB | Freeware | Win All] — This professional source code editor is so small that you can store it on a floppy disc. While it can serve as a good replacement for Notepad, it also offers many powerful features for programming languages such as HTML, C/C++, Perl and Java with its Syntax Highlighting.
- AscToHTM [1.35 MB | Shareware $30.00 | Win All] — AscToHTM converts ASCII text files to HTM or HTML documents with a click of the “Convert File” button. Detects ASCII art and also can convert comma- or tab-delimited text files into tables. A policy feature enables use of meta tags and style sheets for experienced users.
- Affiliate Center 1.2 [1.62 MB | Freeware | Win All] — If you belong to two or more affiliate sites, this software will make your work easier and faster. Affiliate Center consolidates the various Web interfaces into one single and easy software program, so you can see how your travel rewards programs Web site is performing against your instant approval credit cards Web site. It saves your passwords and displays your stats and the money made automatically. Additionally, this software provides the ability to compare and rate different providers.
- RSS Wizard 2.91 [1.66 MB | Shareware $29.95 | Win All] — RSS Wizard is an HTML to RSS converter than can generate the RSS feed out of virtually any Web page without having to edit it first.
If you enjoyed this article, please bookmark it at del.icio.us »